Chapter 5



Jon noticed two things about the house. First, it was too far from the front door to the bedroom. Second, Valerie’s bedroom had a better view of the beach and water than his did. The windows were open, allowing the sea breeze to ruffle the filmy white curtains and bring in the scents and sounds of the ocean.

Valerie noticed two things about bringing Jon into her bedroom. First, she was so nervous she could hardly think straight. Second, she was so turned on, she could hardly think straight. What the hell was she doing? This was not like her at all.

Jon pulled Valerie into his arms, and all thoughts were flushed from her mind. He swayed with Valerie to the music of the ebb and flow of the waves. It had a hypnotic effect on her, and she found herself resting her head against his shoulder and closing her eyes. This felt so good, so right. This simple human contact is what she missed most.

One of Jon’s hands was tracing lazy circles on her back, and the other was cradling her neck. His hands felt so strong, yet so gentle. Valerie turned her head so she could kiss Jon’s neck. She licked and nipped at him until he was gripping her hard now instead of holding her tenderly.

“Um, ow,’ Valerie said, giggling.

“Sorry, darlin’,” he said, chuckling low in his chest, and relaxing his hold on her. “But you brought it on yourself.” Jon adjusted his grip so that he was holding her hand clasped to his chest, and Valerie moved to tuck her head under his chin. They hadn’t stopped their gentle dance, and Jon couldn’t help himself; kissed the top of her head and started singing.


In a way I know my heart is waking up
As all the walls come tumblin' down
Closer than I've ever felt before and I know and you know
There's no need for words right now

I can feel the magic floatin' in the air
Being with you gets me that way

And I can feel you breathe, it's washing over me
Suddenly I'm melting into you
There's nothing left to prove, baby all we need is just to be
Caught up in the touch, slow and steady rush
And baby, isn't that the way love's supposed to be

I can feel you breathe
Just breathe


Valerie’s heart quickened. That honeyed, aged-whiskey voice whispering Faith Hill’s words of love and lust and wanting to her; it was too much for her to take. With unshed tears glistening in her eyes, she looked up at Jon, wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed him so sweetly, he thought he’d died. He made a small groan in the back of his throat, and pushed a hand into her hair, while wrapping his other arm tightly around her, pulling her hips into his, showing her exactly what he was thinking and feeling at this moment.

The intimate contact was nearly Valerie’s undoing. She broke the kiss, an on a shaky breath said, “It’s been a long time since anyone has held me like that.” She hoped Jon wouldn’t make her say that it’d been more than two years since she’d been with anyone. She didn’t want to see pity in his eyes. Not now.

He smiled an ironic smile. His smile still didn’t reach his eyes. “Dariln’ it’s been so long for me, I’m surprised I haven’t embarrassed myself yet,” he whispered. Valerie’s eyes went wide. Surely he was kidding? He could have had any one of the thousands of women he’s seen since his divorce. Oh yes, Valerie read all about it in the papers, and had believed about a quarter of what she had read. No matter what was written, though, this man’s appeal, sex and otherwise, was still off the charts. She was surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

Jon chuckled at Valerie’s expression. “Don’t look so shocked.” He looked into her eyes, and Valerie’s heart stopped. “I haven’t met anyone I was interested in. There was nobody I wanted to be with. Not until tonight.”

“Oh,” Valerie breathed, afraid that anything louder would break the eye contact between them. She was pretty sure that she could spend an eternity just getting lost in those clear blue eyes. Jon was thinking the same thing about Valerie’s pure green ones. Valerie wasn’t sure who made the first move, but they were suddenly fused together at the mouth, tongues dueling; the fire of passion and wanting rising to engulf them.

When Jon came up for air, he moaned, his voice husky with desire. “Valerie, I want you. God help me, I want you now.”

Valerie tightened her hold on Jon’s shoulders and answered, “I want you too,” her own voice barely audible over the sounds of the surf crashing outside.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang it, Hathor, I'm at work!

Luckily I have my own office.

Sigh, to have a romantic encounter like that..........but with MY luck.....

beachloverjovi said...

It's a good thing I didn't read this Chapter at work. I don't think my heart could have taken it.

Starr said...

Ohh to have Jon hold me and sing to me!
This was a great chapter! Lovin this story!!

TaraLeigh said...

And she leaves it there!
Ga!!!
Sweet hell.
I'm glad I'm behind because I can go right to the next one! LOL